Followers

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Protein and the porch!!



It's all I need, well, at least for breakfast. The weather is warm and sunny and breezy, and my porch calls out to me every day. I managed to find a little piece of my morning this week to sit and have breakfast in my favorite spot with my high protein smoothie. The best part about this breakfast besides all of the health benefits...it's fast. I keep seeing posts and articles about everyone's quest for good health, especially this time of year. We try to be healthy year round, but let's face it, it's easier to be motivated when the weather turns warm, and we think about wearing those shorts or that bathing suit. Whatever motivates you, I hope you will try my high protein smoothie. There are many variations to it, depending on your taste buds. I like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries in mine, but my husband doesn't care for the occasional surprise seed in his, so he only gets blueberries. It's fairly low in carbs, which is a good thing, but it's packed with lots of nutrition and most importantly, PROTEIN. If I don't have it, I'm thinking about what I will eat next. This will stick to you and keep you satisfied for a good long while. 



Protein-packed Fruit Smoothie

In a blender add the following:

1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 cup berries of your choice (I buy frozen mixed berries or blueberries until they are in season)
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder 
1/2 banana
1 cup fresh raw spinach
1 cup ice

*I decided to include the nutrition content for this recipe in case you'd like to know. It will vary slightly according to your choice of protein powder and fruit. Note...the carbs are mostly from the fruit, which is a good source for carbs, and morning is the best time to have them. Calories 347, Fat 1.3g, Carbohydrates 45g, Protein 44g




Here's to lots of great weather and feeling healthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment