Followers

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Warming and Healing - Chicken Soup!




I'm pretty sure God created chickens for soup making!! I'm convinced there are healing powers in all forms of chicken soup. My teenage daughter, Lauren, has been under the weather the past couple of days, and the weather hasn't even that much to brag about. It's March, and we have had cold, rainy days this week, with a little bit of snow coming down as I blog. I'm usually ready to phase out of the soup menu by now, but this week called one last time for it. In years past, this recipe has been my go-to meal to deliver to new moms and dads and to families in need of a pick-me-up. It's easy, and you don't need to cook it all day. I modified this from a Light and Tasty recipe.


Cream of Chicken and 
Wild Rice Soup

1 large onion, chopped
4 large carrots, sliced
4 celery ribs, sliced
small bunch celery leaves, chopped 
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked wild rice (I use Uncle Ben's original wild rice)
3-4 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
1/4 teas kosher salt
1/4 teas pepper
1 can low fat evaporated milk





In a large dutch oven or saucepan, sauté onion, carrots and celery in butter and olive oil until tender. Add in chopped celery leaves for one more minute.  Add in flour and cook until well blended (about 1 minute). Slowly add broth while stirring. Stir in wild rice, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for a few minutes until thickened. Stir in milk and cook on low 3 or 4 minutes longer. Serve, and let it warm your soul. 




People will thank you!!






1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! Eating seafood stew with a warm loaf of French bread as I read this.

    ReplyDelete