Followers

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Southern Bean Stew


It's been a while since I've blogged. Let's just say, life happened, and my love for blogging slipped to the back burner. Pun intended. This recipe is worth the effort, so here goes. I saw Southern Living's version of this recipe in the December 2014 issue. It had waaaayy too many ingredients for me and seemed to have somewhat of an Asian twist, which I usually love, but not today. So, I have a base for bean soups and stews and started with that and then added what sounded good to my taste buds. It turned out great!! No meat is necessary, but I did use a little bacon for flavoring. I may actually sauté up some Kielbasa sausage and throw it in later, just to make it feel like a new stew on leftovers night. You can change up the seasonings, veggies or the beans to suit your cravings. 


 Southern Bean Stew

1-16 oz package of dried black-eyed peas
(soaked overnight or for at least six hours and drained)
2 Tbsp butter 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped 
5 carrots, peeled and chopped 
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
2 med sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
Small bunch of parsley, chopped

Whew!! The rest is easy, I promise. Here's what else you'll need.

1-32 oz container chicken stock
1-32 oz container chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
Bacon slices or ham hock (optional)
(I used three slices of bacon)
1 1lb shredded collard greens
 (I love the bags in the produce section. Huge time saver)
salt and pepper to taste



First, don't forget to get those dried peas going. They need to soak at least for six hours and then drained. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat butter and olive oil. Add onions, celery, carrots, and peppers (my base for all bean soups). Cook until tender (about 10 min). I put a lid on and let them sweat during this process. 




Add stock and broth, sweet potatoes, and all remaining ingredients except parsley. Your pot will be full, so you may have to add collards in slowly. Cook for about 20-30 minutes on medium-high heat, until sweet potatoes are done, black-eyed peas are tender, and collards are cooked to your desire. Add in parsley and simmer on lowest heat setting for about 30 more minutes. 

If you are feeling the need for MORE carbs, cornbread goes great with this stew. Just sayin'! 










No comments:

Post a Comment