Followers

Monday, February 11, 2013

Sufferin' Succotash...Feed Your Cold!!

Mark my words. I almost NEVER lose my appetite, but I have been fighting a cold (yeah, right!) or what feels more like the flu and a bad case of bronchitis for a week now, and it totally zapped my appetite. So what's that whole "starve a fever, feed a cold" thing about? How is this possible when you can't taste anything? I suppose it's just unlicensed wisdom passed down from previous generations on what the body may or may not need to fight viruses and fevers. Well, after a week on a great weight loss plan (NO FUN), I finally climbed out of my feverish state and decided to feed my cold and my weird craving. It was Succotash!! Just a side note, I hated Succotash as a kid and haven't had it since the last time my mom made me eat it. I remember huge chunks of tomatoes and lima beans. Yuck!! Well, apparently those days are of the past, because it's what I wanted when my appetite finally returned. I revamped my mom's old recipe just a bit, and my teenagers didn't even flinch when I put it in front of them. I realize this goes beyond chicken broth and hot tea, but after a week of that, I was ready for something new and clearly needed a good dose of veggies!



Succotash

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz chicken or vegetable broth
1 pint frozen or fresh lima beans
1 pint frozen or fresh corn
1 fresh zucchini, sliced
15 oz crushed tomatoes, undrained
salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the onion in olive oil and a little butter until tender. Add garlic for about 30 seconds then add in remaining ingredients and cook until zucchini is done. I added extra broth to make it more soup-like. Makes a great side dish or main dish with sausage or chicken added.


A Bite of History:

  • Succotash dates back to the Great Depression.



No comments:

Post a Comment